NOTE: compass IS included on the 2.8. BUT it is not "enabled" by default. So it will "act" as a 2.6 board. so that it readily able to use an external compass for increased performance. If you want to enable the on board compass. please jummper the pins labed "MAG" this will turn on the mag, this is much better then the old cut the trace method
The ReadytoFlyer / APM 2.8 is a complete open source autopilot system. It allows the user to turn any fixed, rotary wing or multirotor vehicle (even cars and boats) into a fully autonomous vehicle; capable of performing programmed GPS missions with waypoints. This version comes with the RC/Servo connectors unsoldered, so you can choose between straight or right-angled ones.
GPS not included, But can be added at the bottom on the page. Comes Pre-configured and with GPS/i2c cable now included with combo!
changes in 2.8
1) 100uf cap in Vcc and 10uf tantalum capacitor added to stop 3.3v bad gyro health issues
2) Replacement of the (not used/redundant) 1.0mm 6p GPS port with df13-4P I2C external compass port, putting the GPS and external compass ports next to each other, making for easier connections.
3) Multifunction MUX port added in the old I2C port location, this lets users select an output from the bonding pad (Uart0, Uart2, I2C, OSD “default is OSD”. This new layout makes data transmission more stable with an isolation resistance.
4) 3.3V and 5V Dataflash/Flashrom swapped trace problem corrected to the AT45DB161.
5) External Compass enable/disable jumper added, verses having to cut a trace wire.
• Arduino Compatible
• pre-soldered and tested
• 3-axis gyro, accelerometer, magnetometer and high-performance barometer
• Built in 4 MP Dataflash chip for automatic data logging
• Invensense's 6 DoF Accelerometer/Gyro MPU-6000
• Measurement Specialties MS5611-01BA03 Barometric pressure sensor.
• Atmel ATMEGA2560 and ATMEGA32U-2 (processing and USB function).
NOTE:When connecting to USB, do NOT have anything else connected to the board nor Do not connect any devices such as a radio receiver, MinimOSD, GPS, etc while the APM is powered especially while powered only through the USB cable. Doing so could damage the board, this is now minimized with the SMD 3.3V regulator MOD, but best to play it safe and provide the addtional external power, and no connecting anything while powered..
APM 2.6 autopilot airplane system setup wiki: http://plane.ardupilot.com/
APM 2.6 autopilot multicopter system setup wiki : http://copter.ardupilot.com/
APM 2.6 autopilot Car and boats system setup wiki : http://rover.ardupilot.com/
APM 2.6 / ReadytoFlyer endless info. most question you have answered here:
OLDER WIKI but still some good information and pictures in them